Cross Border Tax Preparation
Katy & Houston, TX

Frequency Asked Questions

Cross Border Tax Preparation FAQs

  • Do I still have to file and pay US taxes?
  • What are my Canadian tax obligations?
  • Do I need to report my Canadian rental income?

Learn more

It’s time to take that big step. You’re leaving the US to live and work in Canada, and you can’t wait to start your new life. But before you get on that plane, do you know how to file your US taxes from Canada?

It’s not as scary as it sounds. If you have made a move like this before, or if you’ve just moved across the border for school or work, then filing your US taxes from Canada is something that you already know how to do.

However, if this is your first time filing from another country, then we want to make sure that you are prepared for what’s ahead.

So let’s talk about what happens when you move abroad and start filing your taxes in another country!

Learn more

The short answer is… If you’re a US citizen or green card holder, and you generated income from anywhere in the world, then YES, you need to file your federal income tax return.

The IRS estimates that over 100 million people file their taxes using this form each year. However, not everyone who files taxes does so through the 1040 method—you may choose to file differently based on your income and deductions.

Learn more

  • Do I still have to file and pay CA taxes?
  • What are my US tax obligations?
  • Do I need to report my US rental income?

Learn more

We help American citizens and green card holders living in Canada to comply with US tax rules.

We help Canadians working in the United States whether part-time or full-time or those living in the US for some parts of the year, sort out complicated tax issues and complex tax treaties.   

With our office in Katy, Texas, you have access to our Enrolled Agent to assist with your US-International (Cross-Border) tax compliance needs and foreign assets reporting requirements.

Learn more

Moving to the United States is an exciting time, but it can also be a stressful one. If you’re a Canadian who has recently moved to America and is still getting used to the new culture, the new workplace and the new tax laws, then we have some good news for you: You don’t have to learn everything from scratch!

The US tax system is already complicated for American citizens who have had years navigating their own tax laws, how much more complicated can it be to a novice, like a Canadian who just moved from the great white north to their star-spangled neighbor?

Well, don’t let it discourage you from ever moving! We’ve compiled a list and summarized the most commonly used IRS (Internal Revenue Service) Forms to help Canadians living in the US with their tax filing.

Learn more

Video Collection

Cross Border Tax Video

Our Blogs

Cross Border Tax Blogs

The tax filing deadline for expats is near! If you are an American citizen or a Green Card holder living outside of …

Tax Filing for Canadians living in the US If you are a Canadian who lives and works in the US, you may …

Tax Filing for Dual Citizens US & Canada Having dual citizenship means that you have more opportunities to travel, work and live …

Power up your business today!

With FAS by your side, you can see your business operating performance on a timely and accurate manner.
With confidence, you can use this financial intelligence to drive your business forward.